Thursday, July 27, 2006

posted by Elizabeth at 6:27 AM

The Joys of Travel

So, as I mentioned, I was just in the Bay Area visiting family. I had been looking forward to going to a yarn store in Mill Valley near where another sister lives. It isn't the greatest shop, but checking out what they have is always fun. I had purchased some yarn there about 6 months ago, and needed more of it. The hat I had started for a special baby required more than I thought. My sister and I finally made it over to the shop, only to find that it had closed.
Not moved. Gone. Nada.
Wow, wonder if they had a going out of business sale. I would have flown in for that.

That part of my trip was a bust. I still had a great time visiting my sister.

I didn't have such a great time visiting my MIL. She lives near San Jose. It was 105 while we were there. Rolling blackouts. West Nile Virus scares. No cable TV. Three kids...get the picture.

It was rough....however....there is a new knitting store in town. It is great. Truly...I'm so lucky to have a great LYS like Jimmy Beans. Another store opened up here as well, though not quite as cool. We can actually get great yarn at Ben Franklin as well, though I like to support a small business. Anyhow, I don't feel like I'm hurting for yarn. Still, it's such fun to check out other stores when on a trip. Don't you think?

Back to the great yarn store. It's in Saratoga, CA, and is called Knitting Arts. I managed to go there twice. Once for needles that I really did need, another time for a birthday gift. My MIL wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday, and I wasn't shy about telling her. I can't get Koigu locally, so was thrilled when I found it. This shop had tons of random yarn. It was such a pleasure to check out all that they had. I even managed to find a little treat for Estella. (Sorry to ruin the surprise. It's in the mail to you now)

This is my Koigu.

Sigh.
|