Monday, December 11, 2006

posted by Elizabeth at 10:44 AM

A Little Knitting

I've decided to teach several people in my giving circle how to knit.

Since some of them already know how to knit, and others don't, I thought we would start with a blanket. Warm Up America has been my inspiration. Since there will be some children who are knitting as well, I though making squares would be easy enough. Here are my samples. They're made out of Lion Brand Wool Ease. Let me tell you, the 20% wool in this yarn doesn't stop it from feeling like you're knitting with acrylic. Yuck. I wasn't even sure if one blocks acrylic, as I've never really knit with it. It does block well, for those who were wondering.
We have to knit with acrylic, so the blanket can be machine washable. Hopefully after that I can introduce the ladies to the wonders of fine fiber. With any luck I'll turn them into charity knitting machines.
This hat was whipped up this weekend. It is a gift for Pierson's teacher. The jury is still out on whether or not anyone likes it.

These are the Jaywalkers I'm working on at the moment. I screwed up on the decreases on the instep, so I've got a little bit of frogging to do. Oh well.
|