Sunday, December 17, 2006

posted by Elizabeth at 5:17 PM

I ask you...are they really worth it??

Socks. Hand knit socks.

I have some sort of bug. Body aches & a nasty sore throat. Pierson had it, and was down for 72 hours. I'm sure I'll be better soon, thanks for the concern.
My sickness isn't what made me feel so awful today.
It was socks.

I had to do a little laundry. It's the weekend. Got to keep up with these things. In a bit of a delirious state, I threw a load into the wash. As I was doing the dryer transfer, I saw, not one, but two pair of hand knit socks. They were looking a bit fuzzy & out of shape. Generally they're hand washed. As I threw another load of dirty clothes into the machine, I managed to grab another pair before they hit the bottom of the wash basket. I threw them in my sink, added a little soap, and started to get them wet. I was thinking that, although I love making socks, almost as much as I like wearing them, are they worth it? I mean, hand washing. What a pain. Do I really have time for this? Luckily, in Nevada, they dry within a few hours. I could only imagine what it would have been like in humid Virginia. Actually I remember. I knit a few pair of "rag" socks for David back in the early 90's. They ended up going in the dryer and eventually felted.
Anyhow, the phone rang. Another sister, with the same sickness. As we compared symptoms, trying to outdo one another, you guessed it, I forgot about the socks. Left the water running. After we hung up, I did a few more dishes. I felt like shit. A shower would make me feel better. Wait, why not check the clothes, as they might be dry by now. Water was starting to creep out the laundry room door. I can't being to describe the mess. Suffice it to say, I it took me 2 hours to clean it. I went through 6 towels. No pictures. I couldn't handle that.
So I ask you, are they really worth it? I must be a little crazy, as, after finally taking that shower, I sat down to continue to work on my Jaywalkers.
|