Tuesday, June 26, 2007

posted by Elizabeth at 8:09 PM

Cursed

I know I'm not the only person to experience this, but don't you hate it when beautiful yarn is cursed?

Last year for my birthday, I picked out some beautiful Koigu sock yarn. I mean, it was immediate yarn love. For months I would pull it out of the stash and admire it. It was so beautiful, that it seemed a shame to turn it into socks that one would only catch a glimpse of in passing. Just the same, in January I decided it should be come another pair of Jaywalkers. It's a common pattern, but one that really would show off the beauty of the yarn. Right after turning the heel that I decided they were truly too large. (Yeah, I can really work that denial thing)

Beautiful yarn, bitterly frogged.
Fast forward to April.
A hat.
Yes, it would make a lovely hat.
One of my own brilliant designs.
Knit about an inch....too big.
Frog it.
Knit about 2 inches, and decide that the design wasn't so brilliant after all.


That's when I saw my first Chevron scarf. I had checked out Last Minute Knitted Gifts from the library a long time ago. When I saw the pattern I thought it was beautiful, but hey, a scarf on size 5 needles? Nuts. However I was lured into love.

This is my second attempt at the scarf. First I tried it on 5's. It wasn't pretty, but never fear, it wasn't on gauge. Perhaps it would be prettier on 4's. No such luck. I've been looking at the KAL for a while, and have been amazed when people don't like their color combination. All of them seem beautiful to me.

I thought this purple/green color would go great with the Koigu. It looks like a muddy, yucky mess to me.

Hmmm...maybe the Koigu would be good as socks after all.
|