Saturday, June 16, 2007

posted by Elizabeth at 9:40 AM

A Wee Vacation

My family went on a little trip to Yosemite for a few days. We had a great time, but not much knitting was done. The roads are a bit curvy. When I was a passenger, I had trouble knitting. If I didn't knit, then I had trouble being a passenger. My husband has a habit of looking at the scenery & not the road. Needless to say, I drove a lot.

However, we did pass lots and lots of sheep. It was very cool. I've been told that local ranchers hire sheepherders from South America. They come with their dogs, and live in little trailers near the herd. We've had them in the foothills above our house. The sheep actually are part of the fire control, as they graze down grass that would dry out later in the summer & be a hazard.

I loved seeing the sheep, sheepherders & the dogs. One herd had been newly shorn. I wonder who got the wool.


The photos are not too great, as they were taken from a speeding car. By this time we were on a fairly straight highway.The big white thing in the foreground is a dog. It looked like a Kuvasz.


When passing through Minden, NV, I noticed the Pioneer Yarn Co.
We were only 45 minutes from home, but I didn't dare stop. By this point the kids were getting antsy. It gives me a reason to drive down to the beautiful Carson Valley. I'll have to wait until fall, however, as there can't be any stash enhancement until then.
|