Wonderful Mothers (and Fathers)
Last Friday was my birthday. My parents surprised me with a really generous gift certificate to my LYS. (I mean, this this could last me for years!) It's so unbelievable to think that I can go in there , charge all I like, and never feel guilty about it. My husband has never begrudged me anything. Just the same, I've got what my grandmother called "Scotch Blood", and I don't like to spend frivolously. With the prices of some yarns these days, it's hard to rationalize some purchases. Now, however, I think I can loosen my budget just a wee bit. Thanks Mom & Dad.
If you're curious...Estella got a gift certificate to her LYS on her birthday. Our parents, who have four daughters, are notoriously fair in their gift giving. I'm sure she will take years to use up her present as well.
On the note of LYS's....I must admit I have a pretty great one. I often read on blogs where people order stuff from Jimmy Beans. Those of you who like to make purses, have to check out their handles.
Scroll down.
Horrid photos, but gorgeous in person.
Because of this whole "knit from your stash" thing, I didn't go there for several months. They moved their location, closed down their Truckee store, and really expanded their yarn selections. It is a really great store.
Hmmm...a reason to go to Reno??
The title of the post is wonderful mothers. Not to brag, but on the kitting front, I'm a pretty great one too.
Last week I took my older two kids into Jimmy Beans to get them started on new projects. Pierson, 11, knew he wanted to make a headband for winter. One of his ski jackets is black, so he chose black & turquoise yarn. He's working a k2p2 rib headband, which he finds frustrating. What I loved is that he had to do the math to figure out how many stitches he needed. Nothing like validating the importance of math.
Annie, who's 10, perused the books. Usually I never buy them, but I couldn't say no to her (and this was before my great gift certificate). This book is really darling.
Oh, and I stuck the t-shirt Annie & I tie dyed in the corner. She loves it.
I got my youngest, August, who is 6, started on a "blanket." Really what I have him doing is knitting squares. When he gets bored, we bind off. Usually they're full of mistakes, but he's loving it.
The blanket, which is turning out to be a great way to get rid of scraps of yarn....
and the elephant that Annie is knitting. She's doing a great job of reading the pattern.
Needless to say, between helping three kids, I haven't gotten too far on my sock.
Now, of course, I'm obsessed with this. It's taken a lot of willpower to put it down, and write this post. As it's the final book, I'm trying to make the experience last.
If you're curious...Estella got a gift certificate to her LYS on her birthday. Our parents, who have four daughters, are notoriously fair in their gift giving. I'm sure she will take years to use up her present as well.
On the note of LYS's....I must admit I have a pretty great one. I often read on blogs where people order stuff from Jimmy Beans. Those of you who like to make purses, have to check out their handles.
Scroll down.
Horrid photos, but gorgeous in person.
Because of this whole "knit from your stash" thing, I didn't go there for several months. They moved their location, closed down their Truckee store, and really expanded their yarn selections. It is a really great store.
Hmmm...a reason to go to Reno??
The title of the post is wonderful mothers. Not to brag, but on the kitting front, I'm a pretty great one too.
Last week I took my older two kids into Jimmy Beans to get them started on new projects. Pierson, 11, knew he wanted to make a headband for winter. One of his ski jackets is black, so he chose black & turquoise yarn. He's working a k2p2 rib headband, which he finds frustrating. What I loved is that he had to do the math to figure out how many stitches he needed. Nothing like validating the importance of math.
Annie, who's 10, perused the books. Usually I never buy them, but I couldn't say no to her (and this was before my great gift certificate). This book is really darling.
Oh, and I stuck the t-shirt Annie & I tie dyed in the corner. She loves it.
I got my youngest, August, who is 6, started on a "blanket." Really what I have him doing is knitting squares. When he gets bored, we bind off. Usually they're full of mistakes, but he's loving it.
Now, of course, I'm obsessed with this. It's taken a lot of willpower to put it down, and write this post. As it's the final book, I'm trying to make the experience last.

<< Home